Subject: Re: PPPoE?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/07/1999 23:36:29
der Mouse wrote:

> Does a PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet, RFC 2516) implementation exist for
> NetBSD?

  I don't think so.  I asked this about two weeks ago with no real
response other than that Jason Thorpe was working on the changes to do it
properly.  You can do it with simple pointer pushing since the header from
packet to packet is constant.

> I've got a DSL modem
> the supplier end of whose connection is switching from plain DHCP to
> PPPoE, so I suddenly care. :-)

  Likewise.  I'd love to use my IPX as my DSL gateway.  I worked on an IRIX
implementation of PPPoE on the weekend.  Got a cheesy PTY-based solution
basically done except that IRIX PPP doesn't like the other end using an MTU
less than 1500 (sigh).  I've put off learning STREAMS and DLPI until I
solve this since sticking my code in the kernel will just make it not work
faster.

> And related to that, given an interface name, what API should I use to
> find its MAC address?  (I'm perfectly willing, for the moment, to
> assume it's an Ethernet interface, though it'd be nice to get an error
> rather than garbage if not.)

  RFC2516 is *very* Ethernet-centric, so there's no point in worrying about
supporting other things.  But it would be good to have a polite complaint if
one tried to run it over something else, yes.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/