Subject: Re: Wireless LAN - options?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/29/1999 14:52:03
On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 02:19:28PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to play with wireless lan, and wonder what options I have with
> NetBSD. Do we have any other drivers than the Lucent WaveLAN ?
> Can anyone make statements on pricing, availability, quality and esp.
> working distance within buildings.

I'm quite happy with the WaveLAN, for the few times I used them.
working distance is not great (across 2-3 rooms in the same building, no
much more) but can certainly be improved by adding an antenna.
I've been able to install a complete NetBSD system, and recompile X from
a NFS mounted partition over the wavelan, speed was not great but reasonable.