Subject: Re: ITAR Question
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/03/1999 15:46:18
At 12:35 PM -0700 9/3/99, Michael Richardson wrote:
>    Henry> Are there any ITAR issues I need to worry about when writing
>    Henry> networking code?
>
>  Usually those are crypto issues, but yes, ITAR covers lots of high
>technologies.

I was hoping someone would tell me I *didn't* need to worry about it.  *sigh*

>    Henry> The NASA-paid-for implementations are not exportable.  I don't
>    Henry> know the exact reason for sure.  The protocols are international
>    Henry> standards available from http://www.ccsds.org/.
>
>Registrant:
>Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS-DOM)
>   CCSDS Secretariat Code MG National
>   Aeronautics and Space Administration
>   Washington, DC 20546
>   US
>
>  So, it may still be restricted.

Not quite sure what you mean here.  The ccsds web site is hosted at Goddard
Space Flight Center in Maryland, USA, but the standards are not restricted.

My real question relates to implementation.  Can I (as a private US citizen
during off hours, not as a NASA contractor like I'm doing now) modify the
NetBSD networking code to provide additional functionality IAW an
international standard?

If not, can I collaborate with a foreign national to do the same?