Subject: Re: DECnet for NetBSD
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/19/1999 23:39:53
At 05:56 PM 8/19/99 , Erik E. Fair wrote:
>Ooh, another protocol that will want to set the Ethernet MAC address to
>something other than default... /etc/rc had better start it up first...

Having to change N driver(s) to support changing the Ethernet MAC address
is something I was/am not looking forward to.  Ideally, there should be
a flag in an ifaddr indicating whether this protocol supports changing the
address.  If all ifaddr's don't and the device doesn't support multiple
physical addresses (FDDI does mult. phys. addrs, so does the TULIP), the
ioctl to change the address fails.