Subject: Re: libwrap change for IPv6
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/11/1999 12:02:55
>>>	I've made a patch for IPv6 support in libwrap.  This is based on
>>>	NetBSD 1.4 code (hence tcp_wrapper 7.4), and should be easily applied
>>>	to NetBSD-current code.  This involves following changes:
>>just out of curiosity...why are we only using version 7.4?  did the
>>"licence" change?
>
>	No, just because I patched onto NetBSD 1.4 for testing.  When
>	committing I can upgrade to latest (7.6 I suppose) then apply the
>	patch.

i wasn't questioning what you patched, just the wisdom of sticking
with 7.4 when 7.6 is only two years old (as opposed to three).  can
anyone else comment?

>>>	There are other patch available on the net but they change separator
>>>	from colon to pipe sign, so it makes /etc/hosts.allow incompatible
>>>	with previous installations.  I thought we should not impact
>>>	compatibility with other systems so I used square brackets.
>>would it not be better to remain the same as the world?
>
>	No, the "colon changed to pipe" patch is not widely used yet.
>	This will also impact IPv4-only installation, because with "colon
>	changed to pipe" patch people now needs
>	to write
>		telnetd| 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
>	instead of
>		telnetd: 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
>	and it breaks compatibility with past libwrap (tcp_wrapper)
>	installations.  By using square bracket (my patch) we don't need
>	to change old configuration files.
>	I'll try to talk with Wietse beforehand.

ah.  i see.  i thought you were suggesting changing the colons in the
ipv6 addresses to pipes.  yeah...much better your way.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|