Subject: Re: How do I add ipv6 to a device?
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/31/1999 09:34:31
>now, that the 1.4.1 is over...
>What is the procedure for adding ipv6 support to a new device class?
>(I'm thinking of ARCnet here (net/if_arcsubr.c).
>I could guess from the if_ethersubr, but I'd rather use an explicit
>recipe if available.

	My advice is to look at if_ethersubr.c :-)

	You'll need to provide, in if_arcsubr.c:
	- multicast group management part (such as setting up MAC addr filters)
	- input queue management (enqueue to input queue and kick soft intr)
	- neighbor discovery part
	Also, you may need to provide some code into netinet6/nd6*.c and/or
	netinet6/in6_ifattach.c.

	RFC2497 talks about IPv6 over ARCnet.  I'm novice about ARCnet, but
	my feeling is that padding rule and interface ID generation may
	require some trick between if_arcsubr.c and netinet6/nd6*.c.

itojun