Subject: Re: net/if.c fix for netatalk
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/02/1999 02:25:24
> But you only have one address. My netatalk machine's down, so I can't
> demonstrate, but typically it'd be something like
>
> 502.32   in a range from 500->510
>
> If I did the math right, we'd have routes 500->503 (0x1f4->0x1f7),
> 504->507 (0x1f8->0x1fb), 508->509 (0x1fc->0x1fd), and 510.

Ok well I don't get this but I'll except it as is (I actually have an
appletalk book so I could go look it up if it was really important).  In
any case the second suggestion sounds better to me after thinking about
it more.  It also sounds like you agree.

> > The other suggestion I have would be to add a protocol or ifnet specific
> > match function which if_withnet could use to locate the ifaddr.
>
> I think some sort of family-specific call would be best.

Yes, I agree.

I didn't think that ifnet specific would be all that useful.  The only
thing I had in mind was a possible solution for some of the tunnel route
creation/add hackery but considering that in more depth I think the
correct solution for tunnels lies elsewhere.  (Basically dont' create an
interface specific route using the endpoint address. Instead use the
recent changes from Bill Sommerfeld to directly specify the tunnel as
the outbound interface for adding routes.)

Chris.