Subject: Re: excessive promiscuity in i82557/fxp driver?
To: David Greenman <dg@root.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/27/1999 22:25:32
On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, David Greenman wrote:

> >Why not use a link flag for this specific application?
>
>    Probably not a bad idea, but there isn't anything defined in the current
> API to support it and there used to be a shortage of bits in struct ifnet.
> Both are pretty lame excuses, though.

One thing I should point out about this is that if it's turned on
and off with a link flag, non-superusers cannot turn this on and
off. I don't know that this is a huge problem, but on some machines
I run I let non-root types in a certain group sniff the network by
setting appropriate ownership and permissions on /dev/bpf*.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org