Subject: Re: excessive promiscuity in i82557/fxp driver?
To: None <dg@root.com>
From: Justin C. Walker <justin@apple.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/27/1999 15:55:13
> From: David Greenman <dg@root.com>
> Date: 1999-06-27 14:07:31 -0700
> To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
> Subject: Re: excessive promiscuity in i82557/fxp driver?
> Cc: tech-net@netbsd.org, "Christian E. Hopps" <chopps@merit.edu>

> >"prm" is 1 if the device is being put into promiscuous mode, 0
> >otherwise.  Is there any particularly good reason to do this sort of
> >thing by default? (i.e., does promiscuous mode lose valid frames on
> >the fxp unless you also tell the chip to receive broken frames and
> >runts?)
>
>    The idea is that promiscuous mode is often used to diagnose network
> problems, and thus should allow certain types of shouldn't-happen
packets
> through (such as too small).
  Shouldn't this be a separate function?  Overloading promiscuous
mode seems like the wrong thing to do.  E.g., AIX has such an
interface to their network drivers, and we're looking at a similar
issue for Mac OS X.  I'm not wild about AIX's API, BTW.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large *