Subject: GRE questions (and problems)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/23/1999 11:06:01
Greetings.

I am getting a single IP address to my new apartment.  I plan on using
it only to run a GRE tunnel to work, where I get a small subnet.

The home router runs NetBSD/i386-1.4, and has multiple ethernets.  One
connects to the complex's switch, while the others are private wires.
The private wires will be in the 204.152.186.160/27 address space.
The external wire will be in some other space, say 1.2.3.4 for now.

How do I set things up so the GRE tunnel will work correctly, given
that the default route will be out through the tunnel?

Also, I noticed that the GRE code only computes the route to its
endpoint at ifconfig/greconfig time.  Isn't this bad, since it is
quite possible to have more than one possible route to a host, and
routes can go up and down?

Lastly, I have written a flag to allow "link1" to disable the GRE
address munging, since if the remote end's address isn't in the
tunnel's address space it shouldn't be needed, I think.  And it seemed
to be causing problems.

--Michael