Subject: Re: kern/1515 - Changing netstat variables to 64 bit
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/07/1999 16:14:49
Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de> writes:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 08:45:57PM +0200, Guenther Grau wrote:
> > We could create a typedef for these, like netstat_variables_size_t
> > and make it a compile time option if it's 32 or 64 bit.
> >
> > This is still a hack, but would allow both sides to be happy,
> > I guess, not?
>
> bad idea. At least, needs more thought. Think "LKM device drivers".

Uh, i'd expect that that variable would be set per MACHINE_ARCH, not
per machine, so loadable drivers shouldn't be a problem.

However, there are reasons to dislike that idea.  e.g. if on 32-bit
architectures (e.g. i386) the counters are 32-bit, then you end up
having only 32 bit counters on your nice spiffy new PIII, which can
easily push a Lot of packets.  8-)

cgd