Subject: RE: Userspace ppp (Was: Re: Ongoing projects)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/08/1999 12:57:46
On Sat, 8 May 1999, Martin Husemann wrote:

> No pun intended, but I don't see the point. I'm heavily using PPP over ISDN,
> both at work and at home. I never ever got performance problem, neither when
> doing binary downloads (at 7.9kByte per second) or when surfing the web. You
> didn't state how you got your statistics - so I think it's probably some
> bogus performance meter (a web browser telling you it got one packet of 1000
> bytes in 0.2 seconds, so it must have been 5kB/s).

Web browers are bogus. I used the 'show ipcp' command from within an
interactive ppp(8) session (I usually run one on a spare VT). Along with
'show ccp' this tells you what sort of compression is running on both
sides, the overall, current and peak transfer rates.

> The other performance issue is round trip time - how does it compare there?

I was never too pushed to test this, since I don't use PPP w/computer over
anything but modems, and modems are very high latency. Anything over ISDN
or other mediums I do with dedicated routers.

Andy.