Subject: Re: Userspace ppp (Was: Re: Ongoing projects)
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/08/1999 00:26:40
Perry E. Metzger writes:

> Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk> writes:
[...]
> > 	o The compression, for whatever reason, has proven itself
> > 	  over the last year on all of the FreeBSD systems that I've
> > 	  used it on to be superior to in-kernel ppp's.
>
> That makes no sense. Algorithms are algorithms.

Perhaps the userspace version buffers more so it has a larger chunk
of data to apply the algorithm to?  I don't really understand this
either, particularly getting 90kB/sec with any kind of "normal" data
on a 33.6kb/sec modem link.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.