Subject: Re: Userspace ppp (Was: Re: Ongoing projects)
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/08/1999 00:23:14
Perry E. Metzger writes:

> Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk> writes:
> > 	o It is transport neutral; TCP or serial line, it doesn't matter.
>
> Why would one *want* to run ppp over a TCP connection? We have GRE and
> such already.

Just because you wouldn't, doesn't mean somebody wouldn't.  I personally
find running ppp over ssh quite handy, and don't see how 'GRE and such'
would do me any good.  As far as I can tell, the GRE support requires
each endpoint to be known.  This is worthless in a scenario with dynamic
ip addresses.  Also, there is currently zero encryption support with GRE,
and IPSEC isn't "easy to add" as a package, etc.  Running ppp over ssh
is very simple and easy to setup, the only real hassle is having to use
a pty to socket program because our ppp doesn't support running over a
socket.  This hassle is easily worked around, thanks to Dustin's nifty
ssh-ip-tunnel package.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.