Subject: Re: Userspace ppp (Was: Re: Ongoing projects)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/07/1999 21:59:43
On 7 May 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> > 	o It is transport neutral; TCP or serial line, it doesn't matter.
>
> Why would one *want* to run ppp over a TCP connection? We have GRE and
> such already.

I can't think of a reason. Incidentally, the error-handling mechanisms
would fall all over each other :). What I really mean to emphasise is that
it's not tied to cdevs.

> > 	o The compression, for whatever reason, has proven itself
> > 	  over the last year on all of the FreeBSD systems that I've
> > 	  used it on to be superior to in-kernel ppp's.
>
> That makes no sense. Algorithms are algorithms.

Agreed, but I just I say what I and my former FreeBSD dialup users see,
and that's more bang out of our PSTN connections.

This is purely a query, so don't bite, but what about callback, multiple
numbers for each remote system, retries, and modem pooling? NT RAS
supplies all of these too.

Andy.