Subject: Re: Userspace ppp (Was: Re: Ongoing projects)
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/07/1999 15:46:05
On 07 May 1999 18:36:39 -0400
 "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> wrote:

 > > 	o It supports the M$ extensions properly, including MS-CHAP,
 > > 	  which is basically essential in a M$ centric environment.
 > >
 > > 	o It supports multilink PPP.
 >
 > Those two look like legitimately missing features. We should add them.

Well, we support MS-WINS and and the MS-DNS extensions, so adding MS-CHAP
to pppd(8) certainly would make sense.

 > > 	o It would be trivial to support synchronous framed protocols,
 > > 	  like true HDLC. This is useful for ISDN.
 >
 > We have that already.

Indeed.  It's handled by a different piece of code, but in any case, works
with a 45Mbps WAN interface.

 > >         Each individual site that you define can
 > > 	  have a totally different configuration.
 >
 > Ours will let you do that already.

Indeed.  I have a "ricochet", "nasa-dialback", and "isdn" configuration all
just on my laptop :-)