Subject: Re: Ongoing projects
To: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/07/1999 15:47:02
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Andy Doran wrote:
> When I'm at home, downloading mail, source, html or other compressible
> mediums with ppp(8) usually always gets me a peak of 15kB/s with a 33600
> baud modem. Depending on the content, that goes as high as 90kB/s. That's
> with two machines running ppp(8) linked. I don't see that with one side
> using pppd.

What kind of content can get you 90kB/s out of a 33.6kb/s modem? Unless
that's some kind of "instantaneous" rate that only lasts for one packet,
I don't see how you could get that on non-contrived data.

In any case, our pppd supports compression too, and has for quite some
time (BSD Compress and Deflate algorithms). Too bad it doesn't support
the compression that my ISP uses though (I forget what it is... STAC
LZS? [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 11 06 00 01 01 03>])

What's the deal with STAC anyways? Just a matter of someone doing the
programming, or does it require a license and money to use?