Subject: Re: Ongoing projects
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/07/1999 18:41:26
On Fri, 7 May 1999, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> This can really achieve 30:1 compression rates?  Over what period
> of time, and what kind of files?  I can see it easily reaching 5KB/sec,
> or more,  but 30KB/sec, or 90KB/sec?  For text files 10:1 doesn't seem

When I'm at home, downloading mail, source, html or other compressible
mediums with ppp(8) usually always gets me a peak of 15kB/s with a 33600
baud modem. Depending on the content, that goes as high as 90kB/s. That's
with two machines running ppp(8) linked. I don't see that with one side
using pppd.

However, since this idea has been shot down, interested parties can get it
from www.afulhak.org once the final set of NetBSD patches are intergrated.

Andy.