Subject: Re: Nway negotiation with an Ethernet switch
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/04/1999 14:40:56
>Um:
>	(1) that is NOT "Nway autonegotiation" (as defined by IEEE 802.3u)

Yes, Jason. Well done. That's  what I *said*.

>	(2) that FSM is _precisely_ what our de driver does right now.
>	    It also happens to wedge the driver in OACTIVE from time
>	    to time.

Yes, we have an FSm. It also has bugs.

But what I heard first-hand from Matt Thomas was that DEC had a
different, smarter, better, and patented FSM.
Whether the FSM our de driver now has is the same one Matt referred
to, i have no idea, nor do I know how I could tell.

BTW, we could also use a similar FSM for some other drivers, like the
3c595 and 3c597 -- if they dont have such an FSM yet.