Subject: Re: weird network delays connecting to cable provider's servers...
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/22/1999 07:16:44
Luke Mewburn writes:
> Greg Oster writes:
> > Are the hosts that you are conneting to linux-based?  I seem to only have
> > trouble connecting to linux boxes for whatever reason... (non-linux hosts o
> > the same network segment do not seem to trigger this :-( )
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I've got a CyberSURFR here, if that matters.  I'm more than willing to test
>
> > any drivers if it gets this resolved :-)
>
> They're HP boxen running HPUX 10.20

Ahhh... Ok.. I just tried connecting to our HPUX 9.04 boxes, and saw the same
problem!!!  So it's not "just Linux" on the other end...  I have no problem
connecting to a Solaris 2.6, an Irix something-or-other, a NetBSD/Alpha or a
NetBSD/i386 box on the other end.  I do have problems connecting to HPUX 9.04,
Linux/Alpha and Linux/i386.  (The Linux/Alpha and NetBSD/Alpha boxes even
share the same chunk of coax!!!)

> There is ICMP filtering between me at the HP/UX boxen.

Hmm...

> My cable modem is a rebadged Motorola CyberSURFR.
>
> As per thorpej's suggestion, I'll try and get an ne2k card from
> somewhere (i'm sure we've got boxes of them here) and try it out...

Later...

Greg Oster