Subject: Re: bridges,switch
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/19/1999 19:21:29
Erik E. Fair writes:
[...]
> bridge - packet store&forward device; can retransmit for a collision.
> "learning bridges" collect up station addresses on a per port basis, and do
> not forward packets involved in "local conversations" to other ports. These
> can be used to extend an Ethernet beyond its length limit (as can routers).
>
> switch - same as a "learning bridge" (marketing-speak)

The only addendum I would have to this, is that typically bridges were
much slower.

How bridges are different than switches:  (typically)
	* Performance (bridges are slower)
		Usually bridging was/is(?) done in software.
                Switching is almost always done in silicon.
		Switching is essentially "high speed bridging."
	* Scaleability (switches are bigger)
		Bridges were usually limited on interfaces.
		Switches typically have 10's of interfaces.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.