Subject: R: DNS questions
To: Paul Goyette <>
From: andrea <>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/12/1999 18:01:17
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Goyette <>
To: andrea <>
Sent: Monday, April 12, 1999 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: DNS questions

> It all depends!
> Both syntax are correct.  It depends on whether you have an ORIGIN
> statement.  If you do, then that origin gets appended by default to your
> DNS names, so if you say
> 65 IN PTR .......
> the 65 line is implicitly

Ok, but what happens if  there isn't any  ORIGIN statement ?

And ,Let imagine that we have a full Class C Address-pool.
We assign this Pool to 2 different ISP (0-63) (64 - 127) the remains are
assigned to us (128 - 255).
Each ISP has his own NameServer.
when we need to translate an address from 129 to 254 we use our nameserver
and we can use something as follow in our
name server:

So our named  Daemon expect to find all reverse-mapping  for
subnet in  the file

But what happens when is required to map an address outside our netmask (i.e that is assigned to 1 ISP).?
Local named still belive to find the records in
Now if i understand correctly me must add  the following lines to file    IN    NS     ns.firstisp.dns.    IN    NS    ns.secondisp.dns.

At First ISP:

1            IN         PTR            host1.firstisp.dns
63            IN        PTR            host63.firstisp.dns

At Second ISP:

65            IN         PTR            host65.secondisp.dns
126            IN        PTR            host126.secondisp.dns

May this config work?
If not, what is the correct configuration? and where's wrong?