Subject: Re: Rhine etherent chip
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/04/1999 10:50:17
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 10:10:43 -0500 (EST)
 Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com> wrote:

 > I think the NetGear FA310TX is still an excellent purchase.  The only
 > issue is that 'de' doesn't support it. :(  I believe Jason Thorpe
 > mentioned he was working on driver support for this chipset and the
 > PNIC (?) that is another TULIP clone chip.

Actually...

I'm less enamoured with the PNIC as a tulip clone than I used to be.

Basically, the revision found on basically all of the NetGear cards
has a HORRIBLE bug in the receive engine, when the chip is in
promiscuous mode (think: your DHCP server machine).  The work-around
employed by other drivers for the bug means a huge performance hit.
There may be another way to work around it... still investigating.

Really unfortunate.