Subject: Re: Rhine etherent chip
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/04/1999 10:38:37
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999 13:06:47 +0100
 Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

 > what do you people think of ethernet boards build around the Rhine
 > chip (especially the  D-Link DFE530TX) ?

I have one of these boards (I did a bunch of hacking on the "vr" driver,
as well...)  It works pretty well.

Note, the Rhine chip's design means that you basically have to copy
all outgoing frames (and all incoming ones if you have strict alignment
contraints), but performance is still pretty good...

 > I can't get tulip-based boards any more, so I need to find another
 > standart ethernet board. As this is do build a network test lab, I'd
 > need boards that don't suck too much :)

Well, like I said, I use one in an alphastation 500, and it seems to work
very well.  You're not going to squeeze all you can out of it at 100mbps,
but it's not Horrible.