Subject: Re: NetBSD-based repeater
To: None <>
From: Chris Jones <>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/12/1999 09:31:54
So, in case any of you are interested in how this played out, the IT
group has decided that we are, in fact, worthy of our own subnet.
However, before I found this out, I got halfway to solving the

The netmask is supposed to be

In order to get heimdall to talk to both gwy and hideo, I had to do
the following:

# ifconfig de0 inet netmask
# route add default gwy
# ping -c 1 gwy ; arp gwy
# route add -host gwy -link <ether of gwy> -llinfo -iface
# ifconfig de0 delete
# ifconfig de1 inet netmask
# ping -c 1 hideo ; arp hideo
# route add -host hideo -link <ether of hideo> -llinfo -iface
# ifconfig de1 delete
# ifconfig de0 inet netmask
# ifconfig de1 inet netmask

...I think that's all right.  Anyway, I could only have both
interfaces up at the same time if they had very small subnet masks --
I suppose that's very logical, in retrospect.  The trick was that, if
you have configured, you can't add a route to
through that interface, even if the route includes a link-level
address.  But, if you put the route in there while the interface is
configured as, then it's legal.  If you tell it to be a
permanent route, it'll stay there, even if you delete that address
from that interface.

Really a gross hack, and I'm glad I'll be able to set up a real

The next step would have been to get the arpd that a couple of people
mentioned, which should be able to do sufficiently sophisticated
proxy-ARP stuff to let these machines ARP each other.  The final step
would have been to get ipf installed on heimdall, using the fastroute
stuff to forward between the two interfaces.

Thanks for all your help, everybody!

Chris Jones
           Mad scientist at large