Subject: Re: NetBSD-based repeater
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/09/1999 22:40:25
In message <w0vhhb8ru2.fsf@rupert.honors.montana.edu>  Chris Jones wrote:
> Much to my dismay, my bosses have decided that we need a firewall.
> What really dismays me, however, is the fact that the network people
> appear unwilling or unable to provide us with a subnet for the
> machines that need to go behind the firewall.
>
> My original plan was to start by turning a BSD box into a router, and
> then install ipf, and gradually crank down the security until we get
> something reasonable.  However, I don't know how to make this thing be
> a router if there aren't discrete subnets to route between.  Is it
> even possible to turn a BSD box into something like an ethernet
> repeater?
>
> I was thinking that, if all else fails, I can run proxy ARP on it,
> with a static, manually-maintained table of ethernet addresses.  Then
> I could add a route for each of these hosts, pointing out the correct
> interface.

You can forward stuff with ipf on an host by host basis using the
'fastroute/froute/to' keyword (they all mean the same).
This bypasses the kernel routing.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center