Subject: Re: dhclient in rc*/netstart
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/26/1999 21:50:24
    Curt> On 26 Jan 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

    >> Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes: > dhclient requires /var
    >> to be mounted :-/ > dhclient should be changed to use a directory in
    >> /etc (/etc/dhcp/ maybe?).
    >>
    >> That's a step away from a shareable/read-only /.  That makes it a bad
    >> thing.  8-)

    Curt> Indeed. But it would be nice to support having /var on NFS, or
    Curt> whatever, on a host configured with dhcp. Does it work for you if
    Curt> we put the leases database files in a directory called
    Curt> /etc/dhclient.db, (or whatever) and you symlink it elsewhere if it
    Curt> shouldn't be on root?

  That doesn't work for me.
  I prefer that you simply create /var/db on your writeable root either
put a symlink there, and NFS mount whatever you need either on top of /var,
or on its subdirectories. If you need to, you could also just restart
dhclient after you have mount /var.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.