Subject: Re: dhclient in rc*/netstart
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Michael bartosh <bartosh@tamu.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/26/1999 07:51:54
> On Jan 26, Erik Bertelsen wrote
>> [...]
>>
>> Well, maybe there is still something to think about: How set the hostname?

I was having this trouble, or something like this, and and so I
filled in rc.conf's hostname entry, since that is what the hostname
comand calls. It has not bothered my DHCP setup any at all.

> You can do it 2 ways (or maybe more): one you've got an address, do a reverse
> DNS lookup to get the host name (I've done this for diskless sparcs, which
> have a shared read-only /). The second way is to get the dhcp server send a
> host nane along with the ip addr. For this you need to setup dhcpd.conf
> with fixed entries per hardware adresses, to require hostname in
> dhclient.conf
> and to handle it in dhclient-script. I've done this for a setup where I
> installed 15 machines by dd'ing a disk image to /dev/rwd0d. At first boot
> from hard disk the machine would get a static ip addr and host name from the
> server, and fill in /etc/myname and /etc/ifconfig.xxx accordingly.
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
> --

>From the iMac of...

*******
Michael Bartosh
bartosh@tamu.edu
cell: 409/537.2129
Student Rep
Apple Computer, Inc.
Texas A&M University

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
regard those who think alike than those who think differently."

- -- Nietzsche
			Think Different.
			    Apple.