Subject: dhclient in rc*/netstart
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/26/1999 10:59:59
Hello there,

While I was preparing another machine to run NetBSD-current purely as a workstation,
I wanted to configure its IP-setup using dhcp.

I created an empty /etc/dhclient.conf and ran dhclient as got the intended result,
i.e. had the machine's network set up using dhcp.

The question is: Is there a good reason for not providing a rc/netstart/rc.conf
hook to invoking dhclient ? As dhclient is already installed in /sbin, I don't
really see why this should not be feasible without getting into conflicts about
requiring some file systems that need the network before setting up the network...

Well, maybe there is still something to think about: How set the hostname?

Any thoughts or ideas ?

- Erik Bertelsen