Subject: Re: pppd's routes aren't getting created reliably
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/04/1998 21:23:23
On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 01:05:01PM -0700, Chris Jones wrote:

> Ignatios> This should not interfere. I've had the same setup (only
> Ignatios> with a bah0 Ethernet interface) for years. Only be sure to
> Ignatios> not give ppp0 any netmask != 255.255.255.255.
>
> Nope, doesn't work.  I tried changing the netmask to 255.255.255.255
> (which, in retrospect, seems like a very good idea), but I get the
> same symptoms:  If that route exists when cricket dials in, then pppd
> doesn't change it to point out the correct interface.

why does such a route ever exists? do you put the machine onto the Ethernet
sometimes (in this case the route contains the link level address, replacing
what was the arp cache in 4.3BSD) ?

The "proxyarp" parameter should handle this right. You'll need it anyway to
make cricket visible on the Ethernet.

	-is