Subject: Re: making our tcp/ip a strong-end system
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/13/1998 10:39:25
In message <199811122243.RAA27635@jekyll.piermont.com>  "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> Matthias Scheler writes:
> > >
> > > Having the kernel do the right thing by default would give you a nice
> > > "belt and suspenders" security feel.
> >
> > But it is NOT the right thing. It might be correct in such special firewall
> > environments.
>
> And I don't think anyone was proposing doing anything but making it an
> option.
>
> > And for the firewall situations Todd's IPF rules are enough.
>
> No they aren't. I prefer much stronger solutions than that. I could
> explain this to you in detail offline.

I think Todd's rules are not weaker than the proposal. I also do prefer
much stronger solutions, but this feature buys nothing that ipf can't handle
too, and for a stronger solution you need ipf at the moment too.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tandem Computers Europe Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       High Performance Research Center