Subject: Re: making our tcp/ip a strong-end system
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/11/1998 08:09:19
Paul Goyette writes:
> Does the loopback interface still work?
>
> In particular, is it still valid for a packet addressed to the NetBSD
> system's loopback interface (or any of its routable alias addresses) to
> arrive via _any_ available physical interface?

I'm yet to fully test the idea, but I believe that the patch will
stop this behaviour. That is the point of running as a strong end
system.

> This is important for those who may be running their NetBSD system not
> just as a "router" but also as a "routing engine".  If anyone is using
> their NetBSD system as a BGP router, they are probably using the
> loopback interface's address as the local address on all of their
> peering sessions.  It is also quite common for one to use the loopback
> interface as the OSPF Router ID and to advertise that interface as a
> "stub host" into the OSPF routing domain.

I'm not following you here; you're saying that the loopback (127.0.0.1)
is the local address; how does the remote end know what address to
put in as the destination, since 127.0.0.1 is loopback on *their*
machine.

> Also, it sounds as though your changes might break some other useful
> diagnostic tools, such as sending a ping with a particular source
> address and being able to see the response.  This is a quite common
> troubleshooting technique in the world of dynamic routing protocols.

I'll check this, but I don't think that this will break.

> Finally, you note that setting the IPSTRONGENDSYSTEM option in the
> config file will "hardwire" the option on.  Would it not make more sense
> to make the option simply set the initial default value, thus enabling
> one to turn it off later if needed?  If you're really paranoid, you can
> always come up with another config option that disables changing the
> sysctl variable.

I should have been clearer; setting IPSTRONGENDSYSTEM to non-zero
changes the default to on, but sysctl can still be used to manipulate
the setting.