Subject: Re: ip masquerading?
To: John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/22/1998 20:48:57
On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 11:10:56PM +0000, John Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:59:16 +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis
> <is@jocelyn.rhein.de> wrote:
>

> >Bug: what Linuxers call "IP Masquerading" is called by the rest of
> >the world, including IP protocol standard documents, "IP Network
> >Address Translation" or NAT. Its supported as part of the "ipfilter"
> >package which is integrated with NetBSD-1.3.x.
>
> When you say ipfilter is "integrated" does that mean running in kernel
> mode for best performance?

No. IPfilter's filtering engine always runs in the kernel.

By "integrated" I mean that the kernel part is in the kernel source, and the
configuration etc. programs are in the base.tar.gz / (or usr.bin/, for the
sources). You dont need to fetch it from Australia, figure out how to
integrate it into NetBSD, and patch kernels etc.

	-is