Subject: Re: New sysctl "net.listen_backlog"?
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@ira.uka.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/15/1998 22:47:04
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> This makes reasonable sense, and was what I was arguing for before
> until I decided the fight wasn't worth it. For better or worse, most
> systems use SOMAXCONN as "reasonable default" and we may have to stick
> with that behavior.
>
> BTW, what does the XPG say?

Although XNS5 permits an implementation to have a (implementation-
dependent) maximum socket listen queue length, it does not specify a
SOMAXCONN (or a differently named but providing similiar
functionality) identifier.  If the backlog argument to listen(2)
exceeds this length, it will be silently truncated; that's all she
wrote.