Subject: Re: New sysctl "net.listen_backlog"?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/14/1998 16:53:13
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> Actually, yes.  I have in my repertoire an underpowered box who really needs
> a lower limit if only to protect itself from a major DOS attack via the
> classic "open a lot of connections to make it spawn lots of children from
> inetd."  On the flip side, I also have a production web server that needs it

No setting of somaxconn will prevent this.  somaxconn has nothing to do
with the number of concurrent connections allowed.

Unless the NetBSD code has been made far less efficient than base BSD, I
don't see how 128 will pose any significant problem; while there are ways
to get mildly negative effects with it, at that point there are a lot of
other ways to do the same thing on the box so it doesn't matter.

If you want to create a "tiny server" config, then that should be created
by the appropriate modifications of your boot files to do everything
needed, not by forcing an artificially low default on anyway.