Subject: Re: bridged interfaces? (for ipfilter)
To: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/07/1998 17:43:57
D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au (Danny Thomas) writes:

> I asked Darren about whether it could be run in a bridge configuration and
> he didn't think so. Is there an easy way to do this or has BSD networking
> been focussed more on routing interfaces?

Most Unix networking has been on routing, not bridging.  I think I know
what would be needed to do real bridging, but I don't think you would
gain anything with the IP filtering code in there, without making it
far more generic and putting the accept or deny hook at a much, much
lower level.

I _could_ imagine a BPF-based bridge, which might be what that drawbridge
thing really is; I've not looked at it.

--Michael