Subject: T1 driver
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Graff <graff@vix.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/28/1998 17:59:53
I have imported a T1 driver into NetBSD-current.  It is for the
RISCom N2 PCI card, or SDL Communications.  It should have made it
into the latest sup.  I don't have access to the ISA flavor of the card.

It isn't perfect, and needs cleanup, but I think it is stable.  I used
it on 1.2G for several months under pretty heavy use and had no problems
with it.  I'd appreciate a note if you try it, and what success you had.

I currently have no way to test this under -current, however.  If anyone
wants to test it, add the following to your kernel config file:

	ntwoc*  at pci? dev ? function ?        # SDL Comm N2 PCI card

and rebuild your kernel.

The card will come up as ntwo0 and (if you have two ports on it) ntwo1.
It will do Cisco-HDLC only, presently, and will answer but not generate
keepalive packets.  This is enough to make a Cisco, FreeBSD, or BSDI box
happy.

FUTURE WORK

I'd like to design and implement a generic point-to-point framework where
any protocol can be selected for any serial line, probably only for
synchronous lines (HSSI, T1, DS3, etc) at first.

I can, of course, write the cisco-hdlc portion.  Anyone want to help and
form the PPP portion?  Or, better yet, frame relay?

--Michael