Subject: Re: MAC addresses
To: None <joe@mediaone.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/23/1998 12:42:45
On Jul 22, Joseph Sarkes wrote
> In years past you could set the mac address using
> the ifconfig command. Is it possible to change the
> mac address of 3c905 cards? I have multiple computers
> that i want to be able to plug into my cable modem,
> which only responds to the mac address of the registered
> ethernet card. The bother of moving the ethernet card
> around is way too much. I haven't seen any 3com utility
> to do the programming of the mac address, and haven't
> seen any example of writing to the serial eeprom on the
> card, so i am most likely to trash the cards that i have.

The driver for this board is sys/dev/ic/elink3.c and sys/dev/pci/if_ep_pci.c.
Reading the code, the driver just read the MAC addr from the prom, but
doesn't put it back in some register (which is needed for some
other boards). So I'm not sure it is possible to use another MAC addr
than the one set in the eeprom. Can someone with the 3com tech docs
add more infos to this ?

The DOS config utility for the 3c509 allowed to change the eeprom
MAC addr ...