Subject: Re: arping for 127.0.0.1
To: Dennis Ferguson <dennis@juniper.net>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/15/1998 10:21:47
> 	/*
> 	 * Search for a matching interface address
> 	 * or any address on the interface to use
> 	 * as a dummy address in the rest of this function
> 	 */
> 	INADDR_TO_IA(itaddr, ia);
> 	if (ia == NULL) {
> 		INADDR_TO_IA(isaddr, ia);
> 			if (ia == NULL) {
> 				IFP_TO_IA(ifp, ia);
> 				if (ia == NULL) goto out;
> 			}
> 	}

Should this whole clump perhaps be changed to the following???

	IFP_TO_IA(ifp, ia);
		if (ia == NULL) goto out;

I'm not sure proxy arping for the other interfaces is a good idea.  It
breaks multiple interfaces on the same ethernet, and probably confuses
the hell out of ethernet bridges when they are connected across the
same two ethernets as a multi-homed host.  Another problem is that it
leaks other interface addresses, say 192.168.x.x, if a local ethernet
is configured with RFC "private" addresses.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
Never trust a program you don't have sources for, and even then question it!