Subject: Re: Nfs stalls on 1.3.1/i386
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/05/1998 09:33:57
According to David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com> :
> 	Are you telling the 1.21 / 1.1 clients to use reserved ports,
> 	(or the 1.3 server to not require them?)

No, I wasn't - and the former did the trick.  I'll investigate the
latter in a moment.

Now, how do I tell the RCP bits in the NFS client to send a machine
name in all authentication credentials?  For some reason, they are
omitted in "getattr()s" and "lookup()s" and Plan 9, perhaps
simplistically, expects them to oocur.

Of course, "it can't be done" is a plausible answer, but I presume
there are options, as other OSs (NextStep is apparently one) do things
differently.  No harm in hacking things in the kernel to get what I
want, at least in a tentative basis while I think of a better tack to
take, but I'm reluctant to jump into it without consulting with those
who know much more than I do about it.

Thanks, all.
--
Lucio de Re (lucio@proxima.alt.za)
Disclaimer: I'm working at getting my opinions to agree with me.