Subject: Nfs stalls on 1.3.1/i386
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anders Eriksson <aer@cdt.luth.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/04/1998 15:20:36
Hi,
I have 3 PCs one with 1.3 and two with 1.3.1. One of the 1.3.1 machines is
exporting
/home to the other machines. On the 1.3 machine it works great. The 1.3.1.
client is
giving me problems though.

>From times to times filesystem just hangs solid. Any shells to other machines
continues to work so the basic networking in the client is functioning. All
tries to access the nfs mounted /home hangs the shell in question.

When starting Netscape/linux with a 1.3.1 nfs mounted /home the machine hangs
right away. It is clear that the problem comes from the nfs /home, since it
runs perfectly with a local /home filesystem.

I tried to boot the client, start X, and let the system wait for a couple of
hours. When I came back the machine was hung and the xconsole showed a three
lines (about 2 minutes apart) about problem accessing server:/home. This is
kind of weird, since the 1.3 box (which are used extensively) doesn't generate
these messages.

Hardware:
1.3 box P60/48 with ec0 ethernet
1.3.1/server: PII-233/48 with ec0
1.3.1/client: 486dx4-100 with ep0

The server has identical exports lines for the two clients and the clients
have the same fstab entries.

Has the nfs subsystem changes to 1.3.1?

Insight highly appreciated!
/Anders