Subject: Re: changing traffic counters to quad_t (long long)
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/24/1998 02:28:58
I understand the objections of the people with slow machines -
there's a Sun 3/60 in the corner of my office doing NetBSD builds
right now...

So, for those counters that get touched "a lot", there is a preference
for the natural integer size in the name of efficiency, and if you
want it to be big, buy a 64 bit machine (e.g. Alpha, UltraSPARC).

Has anyone ever proposed sticking #ifdef's around the metering code
to be able to turn it off for even more efficiency?

Does one or more of the SNMP MIBs define some of these counters to
be only 32 bits?

	Erik E. Fair    fair@clock.org