Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/30/1997 10:03:40
matthew green writes:
>    Hmmm ... you know, it might be useful if you could twist this knob via
>    a sysctl (for example, if you're behind a firewall).
>
>  you can just change the #define for now...

You can't change a #define dynamically when you find yourself moving
your laptop from place to place, which I do all the time. It would be
Really Really Nice for this to be a sysctl. I originally supported
having no option for this until I discovered that some of my clients
have badly configured firewalls. :(

> we discussed doing this with a sysctl, but we couldn't find a suitable
> name for it  :-)  it's a property of at least tcp and udp but it _isn't_
> a property of ip, so without splitting it into lots of little variables
> (one for each protocol), there didn't appear to be a "neat" place for
> it to fit.

Just put it under tcp and document that it impacts udp as well.

Perry