Subject: Re: Path MTU discovery
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Kevin M. Lahey <kml@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/28/1997 13:13:04
In message <6348bm$j38$1@colwyn.owl.de>Matthias Scheler writes
>	Hi,
>
>I have two questions concerning the path MTU discovery support in
>NetBSD 1.3_ALPHA.
>
>1.) Does it actually work?

[Example of it obviously not working deleted...]

>    Has anybody successfully tried path MTU discovery?

I tested it before committing it, but I'd like to hear from anybody
else who has had experience with it (good or bad).  I've just tested
it along a similar path, and it worked, but that doesn't mean much.
I'll try to actually set up a test to your host...

>2.) How can I list the MTU values which got discovered?

In netstat -r, you can see the routes that got added by MTU discovery,
the should have the 'UGHD' route flags set (which, BTW, is the
same as the flags for a redirect).  They should have associated
mtu's, which should be what the system is using to determine the
size of packets to output.

Kevin