Subject: Re: Reimplementing broadcast check for ARP
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/02/1997 11:45:52
> Would this be an Auspex?

> It sounds like their ServerGuard feature and I think may be a special
> case in that they have very great control over their network
> interfaces at all levels and can do practically anything they want
> with them.

Yeah...it is ServerGuard that I'm thinking about.  But you're missing
my point: this doesn't work unless the *client* machines accept
multicast addresses in arp replies.  If we dump acceptance of multicast
addresses by the arp code, then a NetBSD box suddenly becomes incapable
of being an NFS client of a ServerGuarded server.

IMO this would be Not Good.

Unless I misunderstood, and the tweak to the arp code that was being
talked about was a way to make it _generate_ arp replies containing
multicast addresses, in which case I agree there's not much point.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca