Subject: Re: NetBSD vs. RFC 1241
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/16/1997 15:22:35
Matthias Scheler writes:
> In article <199709161809.OAA18731@jekyll.piermont.com>,
> 	"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:
> > I don't think so, but it would be completely trivial to implement.
>
> Trivial for your or trivial for me? :-)

For anyone, really. A couple hours reading TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. 2
should make the implementation dead obvious. You just add the
necessary service routines for the packet type to the proper array,
and all the routine really has to do is unpack the packets and stuff
them back in again.

> > (It would also be an intriguing security hole, but thats another story.)
>
> Is it? It invents a new method for IP spoofing but that's another thing.
> For security concerns we could turn it off by default so that one has
> to enable it with "sysctl".

True enough.

Perry