Subject: Re: RFC-1122
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bk.bosch.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/15/1997 14:14:19
Hi,

Todd Vierling wrote:
> AFAIK, this "standard" is long since obsolete, and violates CIDR (classless
> interdomain routing).  In modern interpretation of IP routing, classful (A,
> B, C) IP interpretation does not exist, and an IP address consists of a
> network portion and a host portion with an arbitrary netmask from 1 to 32
> bits in size.

That's how I understood it as well, but I wasn't sure that everybody
else
thought the same :-) But AFAIK, the rfc is not being marked obsoleted,
so formally hp might be right.

> M$ Windowws NT 3.51 doesn't allow a .128 netmask (does NT4?); Novell NetWare
> 3 doesn't (but 4 does); this is a "feature" either _removed_ from newer
> OS's, or settable (as you found for HP-SUX).

Well, they just added it to their 10.x kernels and 'settable' is not
exactly
how I'd call the following script, which hp-support told me to run
as /sbin/rc.2/foo_bar :-)

adb -w /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem <<end
check_bcast_addr/W 0
check_bcast_addr?W 0
end

Thanx for all the helpful information folks,

  Guenther