Subject: Re: Data Alignment in mbufs
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/24/1997 21:07:22
On Sat, 24 May 1997, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> How _can_ you add alignment guarantees to some of the mbuf operations?

Well, you can't, really, I guess. I really want to go back in time
and make everyone do everything related to networks in aligned
multiples of 16 bytes (making sure that every new header added by
every new layer is an multiple of 16 bytes, and so on). *Sigh*.

Thanks for your code, but I can't use it. My problem is slightly
weird in that I can do misaligned writes to the card memory, but
I cannot do eight-bit writes. So if my starting address is 0x01,
I've got to write 16 bits at 0x01, 16 bits at 0x03, etc. (Or so I
gather from the code; as seems to be usual in my life, I'm working
without documentation here.)

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'