Subject: Re: Data Alignment in mbufs
To: Jonathan Stone , Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/24/1997 09:17:50
>A vanishingly small fraction, less than 1 in 10000, were for
>odd-byte-aligned data.  You'd like to eliminate those; I'd prefer to
>eliminate the odd-word alignment which is caused by the ethernet
>header. Given the 32-bit-alignment bug^H^H^H constraint on Tulip DMA,
>and the extra copy that (apparently) costs the if_de driver, I'd guess
>Matt Thomas might like to *relax* alignment constraints :)

I've been playing with changes to ip_input and tcp_input
to deal with non-longword aligned mbufs (along with tcp_reass
changes).

On output I don't care but I really want to get rid of
that extra copy in if_de driver.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message