Subject: Re: BOOTP support (change request)
To: None <dennis@jnx.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/21/1997 15:39:15
> Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 11:56:14 -0700
> From: Dennis Ferguson <dennis@jnx.com>
>
> > Can anyone see a problem with the above proposal?
> > Attached is a proposed change to implement this.
> > Comments?
>
> It's a nit but it would probably be better to avoid sending back, say,
> ICMP port unreachables when the interface is in this state.
>
> You could do this by setting M_BCAST on packets matching the magic
> case as an expedient, if exceedingly disgusting, way of achieving the
> desired result.
>
> Dennis Ferguson

Ahhh... Yes.  There is also the issue of ARP requests that arrive
with either of the protocol (IP) addresses set to zero, which will
confuse in_arpinput() when the interface address is zero.  i.e.:

  # ifconfig ie0 0.0 up
  duplicate IP address 00000000 sent from link address 00:00:1d:2d:ba:43
  duplicate IP address 00000000 sent from link address 00:80:a3:04:7a:89

It looks like there is a little more work to be done before the
network stack can support the proposed new interface semantics.

I'll look into it some more.  (Suggestions appreciated! 8^)

Gordon